Middlesex University Collection

DSpace/Manakin Repository

Middlesex University Collection

Browse by

 

The Middlesex University Collection at Brandeis University documents a medical school founded by John Hall Smith in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1914, which closed in 1946 because of its inability to obtain accreditation with the American Medical Society. At the time the university closed, it was located on the campus of what would become Brandeis University, to which Middlesex College transferred its charter. The institution underwent two name changes and was variously called Middlesex College of Medicine and Surgery, the University of Massachusetts, and finally Middlesex University. This collection has research relevance in many subject areas such as the history of medicine, medical school quotas, ethnicity and race in medical education, women and medical education, and Jewish genealogy.

To see a full list of materials in this collection please see the finding aid here.

The digitization of photographs from the Middlesex University Collection was made possible by Digital Commonwealth.

Copyright:

Brandeis University permits use of these materials under the fair use clause of the 1976 copyright act. All images in this collection are available to individuals for the purpose of personal use, research, and teaching.

The following credit line must be included with each item used:

Middlesex University Collection, Robert D. Farber University Archives and Special Collections Department, Brandeis University.

License:

Anyone wishing to use these images for commercial use, publication, or any purpose other than fair use as defined by law must obtain prior written permission from Brandeis University. For further information, please contact:

Robert D. Farber University Archives & Special Collections Department
Library and Technology Services
Brandeis University
Mailstop 045, P.O. Box 549110
Waltham, MA 02452-9110
archives@brandeis.edu